Shopee, the largest online marketplace in Southeast Asia, has grand ambitions to dominate the e-commerce industry.
The company is reportedly entering several European countries as part of an extremely aggressive push to capture the market.
- Shopee has recently expanded its operations to France without making any changes to its brand name.
- In France, Shopee will compete with major players such as Amazon, AliExpress, and local portal Cdiscount.
- The company began its aggressive European expansion early September, entering Poland and subsequently Spain.
Why It Matters
- While Shopee's expansion into the European market has its own set of localizations, it appears that the company's website and mobile apps follows a similar interface layout to its Southeast Asia counterpart.
- In just a short span of time, Shopee is already one of the top Android apps in Poland and Spain.
- Shopee currently has 343 million monthly visitors, with revenues expected to cross $5 billion this year.
- The company is also growing aggressively in Latin America, with operations in Mexico, Chile, Colombia, and Brazil.
- Shopee is also reportedly planning to expand to India, where it is currently ramping up hiring in the country.