ShopeeFood, the food delivery service by popular e-commerce platform, Shopee, is now in Malaysia.
The company recently announced that the service will officially be available starting from 24th September (tomorrow).
- ShopeeFood will be available in Malaysia's capital city starting from 24th September.
- The company touts that its launch will include many promotions and free food deliveries.
- ShopeeFood will gradually be rolled out to other parts of the country in the coming weeks — starting with major cities.
- Unlike Indonesia and Vietnam where ShopeeFood has a standalone app, users in Malaysia can order food directly on the Shopee e-commerce app.
Why It Matters
- ShopeeFood's initial rollout in Malaysia's capital city will serve approximately 8 million people on the onset.
- Most sellers on ShopeeFood are similar to Grab Food and Foodpanda, making its presence a potentially significant threat to their market share.
- Shopee has also been investing heavily in logistics and delivery fleets in the country, aiming to provide end-to-end services in its ecosystem.
- Aside from ShopeeFood, the company has also been heavily pushing out its digital wallet solution, Shopee Pay, to retailers.