Xiaomi, one of the most popular electronics brand from China, has just surpassed Apple to become the world's second-largest smartphone vendor by shipments.
CEO Lei Jun announced his excitement on microblogging website Weibo on Thursday:
“Let me share with you all some incredibly good news, Xiaomi’s phone shipments surpassed Apple and became world’s No 2 for the first time.”
- As of second quarter 2021, Xiaomi held a 17% market share for global smartphone shipments.
- Xiaomi trails behind Samsung, which is currently the market leader.
- Apple came in third, with a 14% shipment marketshare, followed by China's Oppo and vivo.
- A large part of Xiaomi's growth is currently in emerging markets, with over 300% growth in Latin America and 150% growth in Africa.
- Most of the company's sales come primarily from low-budget devices, and has faced attenuated success in the premium smartphone market, currently dominated by Apple, Samsung, and Huawei.