UK Growth Manager
25 Jun, 2022
Application Method: Please apply via our application portal here (https://apply.workable.com/nalamoney/). We are not actively reviewing this platform 🙏
Role: Growth Manager
Reports Into: Head of Growth
Compensation: Competitive local rates and significant equity benchmarked to London. We would love to have an open discussion with you and we are more than happy to discuss further and look after every situation on a case by case basis depending on experience and interview performance.
Location: London. We offer remote working, but due to the nature of the role, you will need to be based in London.
Accessibility and Inclusion: We want every interview to be as comfortable so you can focus on showing us as much of you as possible. Our interviews are typically conducted via Zoom. If there are adjustments we can make to assist you in the hiring process, please do let us know in the application.
We are looking for an analytical and product-minded UK Growth Manager to drive growth and adoption of NALA amongst the African diaspora in the UK. You will be working extremely closely with our community managers, community ambassadors, the Head of Growth and CEO to drive paradigm shifting growth strategies. From defining effective growth metrics, executing campaigns and tracking analysing the performance data, you will be involved in every step of a data driven growth journey.
In the first 6 months, we would love for you to:
- Defining, measuring and understanding our growth metrics. How do they interrelate?
- Understanding users’ engagement and use of the product. Where is the magic moment, and how can we help * people discover it earlier?
- Designing marketing experiments and quickly iterating to improve key metrics.
- Building longer-term product features that generate network effect and encourage word of mouth referral.
- Work with our design and development team to introduce features that promote growth and customer experience.
Our current presence
- A private beta active with 1,000+ East Africans in the UK
- An events mailing list of 800+ previous attendees.
- A mainly East African based social media following - Twitter (~3.8K) Instagram (18k)
- A Slack community of over 60 African founders and entrepreneurs
- Good relationships with 25 trusted community leaders and diaspora groups in the UK.
- Direct relationships with 30 leading African celebrities.
Is this you?
We know that finding a job can be stressful. It can be really hard to tick all the boxes for any job description however we encourage you to apply even if you cannot tick every single of the box. Here is what we are looking for:
- You have experience shipping consumer-facing products.
- You are deeply analytical and love data
- You have excellent knowledge of the best practices in cultivating an audience online and offline.
- You build strong relationship with people and love to collaborate
- You have strong communication skills.
- You are hands on and focused on rapid execution.
- You have fluency in written and spoken English.
- Ideally you have experience engaging with with African communities in the UK
These are some nice to haves that would really get our attention:
- You hold interest in Africa, financial services, payments, and wallets.
- In addition to English, you can also speak French or Swahili
- We are fully WFH - there are a number of the NALA team in London who meet up regularly at WeWork
- We do 2 company trips per year (sometimes more! 👀) Check out our last trip to Zanzibar in Dec 2021 🌴🏖😎
- Everyone in any region can expense up to $1000 equivalent a year to support themselves on personal development. * This can include books, conferences, courses etc - anything to help you do your job better or help you grow your career.
- We offer 35 days holiday inclusive of any Public Holidays that exist in your country.
- We provide computer equipment for everyone
Stage 0: Application Review
We fully recognise that interviewing is a time intensive thing and we are not in the business of wasting anyone's time. We have a super simple application process which requires just a CV, 3 application questions and an optional cover letter. We will predominantly use the CV and application questions to determine if you have the skills and motivation to work at Nala. If you would like add any other information that you think will be important, please feel free to use the cover letter to highlight this.
Stage 1: Talent Interview
This will be a 30min conversation with our Talent Team where we want to learn more about you and your experience. We will dig deeper into the responsibilities that you have held in the past, especially those relevant to these roles.
Stage 2: Technical Screening
At this stage, we'll assess your skills and experience in implementation. You'll be completing a small take-home task async so that we can move the process forward faster. We request you to spend no more than 1hr on this task and would love to share with you a £20 Amazon voucher for your efforts in completing this task.
Stage 3: Leadership Interview
This will be a 30 mins interaction with our CEO. In this interview we want to delve deeper into your growth experience and also your motivation for this role and for NALA.
We are on a mission to increase economic activity on the African continent and for its diaspora around the world. By creating community-powered financial solutions, we make it easier to make day-to-day payments and do business in an increasingly global Africa. #BuildOurAfrica
About the Company
We are building Revolut for Africa. Over 80% of the money sent to Africa is done with physical cash. The remaining 20% is done via digital channels but are subject to multiple layers of fees and paperwork. Our easy-to-use app allows anyone to quickly send money from GBP or USD (EUR coming soon!) to all major African currencies at the lowest rates available.
Payment in Africa are 1% built. We aspire to bring 21st century payment technology to Africa to create a low cost and highly reliable set of payment rails that friends, family and businesses can use. When payments are simple, reliable and available at the touch of a button, anything is possible.
We are proud to be an African Fintech Startup with a global team serving an international audience. By building payment channels and infrastructure, we enable lightning-fast payments to every corner of the African continent. Our tech is built by world-class engineers from around the world and we are proud to serve all communities, everyone from bustling cities to peaceful villages. It is our privilege to partner with these local communities go on this journey together.
We are supported by the world’s most prestigious accelerators, VCs and angel investors. We are backed by Y-Combinator (early backers of AirBnB, DropBox, GitLab, etc), Accel (GoCardless, Monzo, etc), and a long list of high profile Angel Investors who were personally in building Monzo, Robinhood, ComplyAdvantage, Luno, Simple, and many more!