25 Jun, 2022
Application Method: Please apply via our application portal here (https://apply.workable.com/nalamoney/). We are not actively reviewing this platform 🙏
Role: Product Manager
Reports Into: COO
Compensation: Competitive local rates and significant equity benchmarked to London. We would love to have an open discussion with you and we are more than happy to discuss further and look after every situation on a case by case basis depending on experience and interview performance.
Location: This role is based in the UK. We are a fully remote team distributed from London/Nigeria (GMT) to Kenya (EAT).
Accessibility and Inclusion: We want every interview to be as comfortable so you can focus on showing us as much of you as possible. Our interviews are typically conducted via Zoom. If there are adjustments we can make to assist you in the hiring process, please do let us know in the application.
We are looking for a methodical and structured Product Manager to join the NALA and drive feature delivery. This role will work closely with all sides of the business, especially with the COO and CEO to drive product vision and roadmap. As a small company you will be exposed to the entire product development process, from partnering with product designers on UX/UI and market research to working on high level strategy with the Leadership team. This is our first hire in the Product team and in the beginning you will need to be comfortable getting involved in granular ticket writing and backlog grooming. As the team grows, we would love to see you grow your team and eventually grow into a Head of Product.
In the first 6 months, we would love for you to have:
- Defined and implemented an effective backlog grooming process and ticketing process that works across the entire company
- Build deep relationships with internal stakeholders at the highest level and support and guide product strategy
- Create ways of working that are appropriate for a 15 person organisation. We do not need extensive documentation and process at the moment but it will come later!
- Delivered a number of features through the product process
Is this you?
We know that finding a job can be stressful. It can be really hard to tick all the boxes for any job description however we encourage you to apply even if you cannot tick every single of the box. Here is what we are looking for:
- 2+ years experience in a product role where you have taken the product concept to go live and a few rounds of feedback and iteration. If you do not have the end to end set of experience, we would love for you to have had 4+ years of product management experience with demonstrable engagement with Design, Engineering and Leadership teams.
- Experience working in a small company and knowing when to push back
- An extremely data driven individual. We understand that perfect data is not available but knowing what pragmatic assumptions can be made to drive reasonable decisions is very important
These are some nice to haves that would really get our attention:
- Has context of customer needs from a UK and African perspective
- Startup experience
- Payments experience
- Money transfer experience
- In addition to English, you can also speak French or Swahili
- We are fully remote! You can work wherever you like so long as you can work within 3 hours of London time
- We do 2 company trips per year (sometimes more! 👀) Check out our last trip to Zanzibar in Dec 2021 🌴🏖😎
- Everyone in any region can expense up to $1000 equivalent a year to support themselves on personal development. * This can include books, conferences, courses etc - anything to help you do your job better or help you grow your career.
- We offer 35 days holiday inclusive of any Public Holidays that exist in your country.
- We provide computer equipment for everyone
Stage 0: Application Review
We fully recognise that interviewing is a time intensive thing and we are not in the business of wasting anyone's time. We have a super simple application process which requires just a CV, 3 application questions and an optional cover letter. We will predominantly use the CV and application questions to determine if you have the skills and motivation to work at Nala. If you would like add any other information that you think will be important, please feel free to use the cover letter to highlight this.
Stage 1: Talent Interview
This will be a 30min conversation with our Talent Team where we want to learn more about you and your experience. We will dig deeper into the responsibilities that you have held in the past, especially those relevant to these roles.
Stage 2: Technical Interview
This will be a 1hr interview with our COO In this interview we want to delve deeper into your product experience.
Stage 3: Leadership Interview
This will be a 30min conversation with our CEO. NALA is uniquely an African company with a global team and we are passionate about building a culture that aligns with this vision. In this interview we would love to learn more about your passions in life and how a role at NALA can help on your own career journey.
We are on a mission to increase economic activity on the African continent and for its diaspora around the world. By creating community-powered financial solutions, we make it easier to make day-to-day payments and do business in an increasingly global Africa. #BuildOurAfrica
About the Company
We are building Revolut for Africa. Over 80% of the money sent to Africa is done with physical cash. The remaining 20% is done via digital channels but are subject to multiple layers of fees and paperwork. Our easy-to-use app allows anyone to quickly send money from GBP or USD (EUR coming soon!) to all major African currencies at the lowest rates available.
Payment in Africa are 1% built. We aspire to bring 21st century payment technology to Africa to create a low cost and highly reliable set of payment rails that friends, family and businesses can use. When payments are simple, reliable and available at the touch of a button, anything is possible.
We are proud to be an African Fintech Startup with a global team serving an international audience. By building payment channels and infrastructure, we enable lightning-fast payments to every corner of the African continent. Our tech is built by world-class engineers from around the world and we are proud to serve all communities, everyone from bustling cities to peaceful villages. It is our privilege to partner with these local communities go on this journey together.
We are supported by the world’s most prestigious accelerators, VCs and angel investors. We are backed by Y-Combinator (early backers of AirBnB, DropBox, GitLab, etc), Accel (GoCardless, Monzo, etc), and a long list of high profile Angel Investors who were personally in building Monzo, Robinhood, ComplyAdvantage, Luno, Simple, and many more!