Director of General Counsel
25 Jun, 2022
Are you a Lawyer with in-house and private practice experience, specializing in corporate/commercial law? If you're motivated to solve real problems for real people, then you’ve come to the right place!
We’re looking for an experienced Director of General Counsel with a solid track record of negotiating commercial agreements and government contracts, advising on mergers and acquisitions.
Sheertex makes the strongest pantyhose in the world. Don't just take our word for it—in 2018 we were named one of TIME's "Best Inventions"! Tens of thousands of customers have already been wowed by our growing range of products, from our bestselling Classic Sheers to our Reversible Crew Socks to Everywear Masks. We are a company that prides itself on using technology to advance a once stagnant industry. Through our initial start of creating a fiber that the hosiery industry had never used before to our ongoing push to automate our manufacturing processes; the journey of Sheertex has a common thread of striving to be innovative in our use of technology. Even our method of selling direct-to-consumer through our online channels was uncommon in the hosiery industry, and is just another way Sheertex does things a little differently.
As Sheertex’s Director of General Counsel, reporting to the CEO, you will incorporate, structure and establish corporate entities to support, optimize, and protect all new and developing initiatives at Sheertex. You will manage our intellectual property, copyrights, and trade secrets while managing our network of multiple entries globally, and entry into new markets.
What you can expect in the first 1-3 months: As you familiarise yourself with the culture and pace of the company, you will: identify business and legal risks; lead our compliance and ethics programs; handle relevant training, investigations and legal guidance at all organizational levels.
What you can expect in the first 3-6 months: Now that you’ve identified business and legal risks, you will oversee all legal matters for Sheertex, providing guidance and advice in order to minimize any potential risks where needed.
- Review current business processes to ensure that our company is in compliance with all current business process laws while minimizing potential risks;
- You will be actively involved in the development, implementation, maintenance and organization of our internal policies and compliance initiatives;
- Manage our intellectual property, copyrights, and trade secrets including while managing our network of multiple entries globally, and entry into new markets;
- Draft, review, negotiate, and advise on contracts and contractor agreements;
- Identify, analyze, research, and resolve legal and business issues in proposed contracts, and make recommendations to the business, CEO and internal stakeholders;
- Support the CEO and finance team in capital raising efforts;
- Monitor pending and or emerging legislation and regulation and advise the business teams of regulatory developments;
- You will take care of various corporate matters such as any ongoing reporting/compliance activities relating to incorporated entities, ensuring the adequacy of our insurance policies and other compliance matters;
- Attend executive level meetings related to the future direction of the company, pending mergers and acquisitions, and changes in policy;
- Harmonize our corporate structure following mergers, liquidations and dissolutions, as part of Sheertex’s goal for globalization and advise the management team on a wide range of legal issues relating to operations and commercial transactions; AND
- Define strategies and lead preparations for legal proceedings/arbitrations/mediations/hearings.
- You are a member of Quebec Bar with 8+ years of experience in a law firm and/or as in-house counsel, preferably with a startup, ecommerce or manufacturing environment;
- You are fluently bilingual, written and spoken in both English and French (which should include an ability to read through statute and advocate effectively in both English and French);
- You have broad corporate commercial transactional experience gained in a fast-paced, preferably start-up or manufacturing, environment;
- You have strong leadership skills, experience scaling growing legal teams and experience working with cross-functional teams;
- You are able to provide accurate legal guidance to the executive staff on all matters that affect the company with an ability to communicate complex issues in a clear and effective way.
- You are a creative problem solver with innovative approaches to the management of an in-house law department;
- You feel comfortable challenging the status quo and preconceptions of what is possible.
- You are a strong negotiator with the ability to interact and communicate with both legal and non-legal business leaders internally and externally;
- You are performance driven and thrive in a fast-paced startup culture that requires you to manage competing priorities, pivot rapidly and often, and continually build as the company scales; AND
- You excel at problem-solving by advising and providing big-picture ideas.
Due to proprietary information and the nature of this position, if selected, we will request a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) be signed to enable a candid discussion of the role during the interview process.
The retail industry is notorious for its lack of diverse representation, and we're very aware of the research showing that women and other historically underrepresented groups are less likely to apply to a job if they don't believe that they meet all of the criteria. Are you hesitant to submit an application because you're not sure if you check every box? Apply anyway!
We would love to hear from you and figure out what you can add to the culture here at Sheertex.
The world’s strongest tights, engineered for better odds.
More Full Time Jobs
$80000 - $120000 yearly