Alfred Lee 4 Feb, 2020
Health authorities have confirmed the first case of a Malaysian contracting the coronavirus infection — a 41 year old man from Selangor.
The victim was visiting Singapore for a business conference attended by Chinese delegates, where he came in contact with the infected.
He was found positive for the virus on 3rd February 2019, bringing the total number of positive cases in Malaysia to 10.
Malaysia has confirmed two recent cases so far, the other being a 63-year-old man from china who arrived at the KL International Airport on Jan 18.
Health Minister Dr Dzulkefly Ahmad said that the Malaysian man is in stable condition, and that health authorities are working with Singaporean authorities to trace the people that he made contact with.
“He returned to Malaysia on Jan 23. On Jan 29, he sought treatment at a private health facility in Selangor for fever and cough. He was referred to the Sungai Buloh Hospital on Feb 2, and was admitted to an isolation ward. He was confirmed positive for 2019-nCoV yesterday,” Dzulkefly said at the daily press conference to provide updates on the coronavirus situation in Malaysia.