VP of Finance
25 Jun, 2022
No experience required
Substack lets writers connect with their audience on their own terms and earn money doing it. We make it simple for writers to publish to an email list that they own, get discovered on the web, and charge for subscriptions.
More than 1 million people pay to subscribe to writers across the Substack network, and the top writers make millions of dollars a year. Substack’s model depends on the success of writers using Substack – we only make money when they do.
_“Substack makes it dead simple to start a newsletter and get paid for it.” – _Judd Legum, author of Popular Information
_"Substack gives me a way to connect with my audience on my own terms.” – _Lyz Lenz, author of God Land and Men Yell At Me
Make something that matters
Great writing is valuable. It respects readers' time, their intelligence, and their trust. It helps us make sense of and change the culture we live in. At Substack, we're building a business model that enables great writing to thrive. Learn more about our opportunity and mission.
We are a small but growing team, and there is more to build than we could ever imagine. That’s why we need you.
Every person at the company participates in customer support. We do this to build empathy with our users and enable us to build better products.
We believe that a diverse team will help us build a product that best serves the needs of a wildly diverse ecosystem of writers. So whatever your background or perspective, we’d welcome your input to help build the best possible version of Substack.
Finance at Substack
Substack is seeking a Head of Finance to lead the finance and accounting function for our growing business. In this role, you will be a foundational member of the leadership team and the first member of our finance division. You will work closely with all teams across Substack and will communicate directly with our Board of Directors and investors.
Through bold strategic and financial planning, you will help unlock the partnerships and product initiatives that take Substack to the next level.
- Drive financial and operational planning for the company, serving as a key planning partner to leaders across the business
- Own preparation and analysis of forecasts, models, financial updates, and departmental budgets, presenting financial narratives, metrics, and recommendations to business partners
- Manage day-to-day accounting and finance functions including revenue recognition, accounts receivable, collections, accounts payable, and financial reporting
- Run Substack’s headcount and compensation planning
- Coordinate general bookkeeping and tax preparation with external firms
- Oversee Substack’s payroll processes for both full-time employees and contractors
- Manage expense policy/procedures and credit card programs
- Lead ad hoc projects related to investor relations, KPI measurement etc.
- 6+ years of experience leading a Finance team at an early-stage, high-growth business
- You create simplicity. You can make the power of financial business thinking available to those who speak ‘writer’
- Experience designing and executing complex financial models, and delivering insights on business performance
- Demonstrated experience in corporate accounting and finance
- Strong priority-management skills
- Simplifying finance processes with close attention to detail
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, business, or a related field (MBA or CPA preferred)
Substack is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status. We're seeking people passionate about enabling independent expression and building a better business model for creators. If you want to see what media, communities, and content can become when unmoored from advertising models, and you have the skills and experience to contribute, we'd love to meet you.
A place for independent writing.
More Full Time Jobs
Senior Full Stack Engineer
$50000 - $100000 yearly