SWE Back-end Lead
25 Nov, 2022
$84000 — $110000 yearly
About the role
We are looking for an experienced Senior Software Engineer focused on backend development with at least 5+ years of experience in developing and maintaining APIs. The role is focused on maintaining and expanding our server platforms by shipping new features and constant updates to our growing user base. As well as strategically expanding the existing capabilities of our server infrastructure while contributing to improve our engineering culture and best practices.
Our product is an audiobook platform consumed through mobile and web applications, and supported by our backend APIs written in Ruby on Rails. We use GraphQL for most of our client-server communication, but also maintain some RESTful APIs and other backend processes. We are looking for someone with deep expertise in maintaining and scaling server side applications.
Unleash user potential is one of our core values and that’s why we are looking for a Software Engineer focused on providing a high-quality user experience, and overcoming scalability issues in our product as we reach our next level of growth.
- Design, build, and deliver high-quality APIs to support our growing base of users.
- Own features from technical design to release while delivering value to the business constantly.
- Write clean, maintainable, and well-tested code.
- Troubleshoot and fix bugs, deliver high-quality solutions and documentation.
- Improve code quality using approaches such as unit and integration testing.
- Participate in our on-call rotations and ensure we are constantly improving our product and providing support to other stakeholders within the org.
- Work closely with our Engineering Managers and Product Org to ensure the work being done is helping us achieve our goals as a company.
- Mentor and coach more junior members of the team to help them deliver consistently.
- Set an example of engineering excellence and high-quality execution for other members of the team.
- Review code developed by other engineers and provide leadership, guidance a direction on mobile application architecture and system design to ensure best practices (e.g., style guidelines, checking code in, accuracy, testability, and efficiency).
- Participate in, or lead code reviews and testing sessions with peers and stakeholders to ensure delivery meets our requirements and quality standards.
- Extensive experience working with Object Oriented Programming languages in the server.
- Extensive experience working with Ruby on Rails (preferred) or other MVC frameworks.
- Experience working with cloud managed infrastructure, preferably kubernetes (we run it in GCP).
- Extensive experience working with relational databases and SQL (we use postgres).
- Deep understanding of multi-tier application development; including knowledge of designing APIs for component based architectures.
- Understanding of server side application optimizations such as performance and memory optimizations, debugging memory leaks and caching.
- Deep knowledge of continuous integration and Delivery and toolsets that provide this ability.
- Experience in startup environments with fast-paced growth and high degrees of uncertainty. Experience contributing to technical roadmaps and collaborating efficiently with stakeholders.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science or Engineering-related fields.
- High proficiency with at least one object-oriented programming language, preferably Ruby, Python, Java, or Go.
- At least 5+ years of relevant backend engineering experience in one or more programming languages.
- Deep expertise in writing high-performance, reliable, consumer-level APIs using Ruby on Rails and/or other backend development frameworks.
- Strong communication and documentation skills
- A self-starting, self-motivating person with the energy to learn and improve continuously.
- Excellent communication and writing skills. English proficiency is required, and Spanish ability is nice to have.
- Independent and responsible: We work fully remote, so we believe in our commitment to work.
What is it like to work at Beek?
Our benefits are designed to offer you the freedom and support you need to grow personally and professionally
- Unlimited vacation - We don’t believe in limiting vacation days, take as many as you need
- Fully remote work - You can work from wherever you like
- Totally flexible hours - You make your own schedule. We work asynchronously and don’t count the number of hours you work, but rather the progress you make
- Medical insurance - We know how important your health is, which is why we offer medical insurance to all our team
- Competitive salary - It grows as you grow
- Wellness and education stipends - You can use this to buy books and courses, pay for the gym, or purchase whatever you need to help you grow and take care of your mental and physical health
- Remote work stipend - We want to support your remote work and give you some money to set yourself up to be a productivity machine
A Y Combinator company, Beek has raised over $20M USD from top-tier Silicon Valley funds including Greylock and Accel, notable investors in Meta, Spotify, Slack, Dropbox, Etsy, and more. We’ve also secured investments from directors at Netflix and Disney+ as well as from founders of companies like Rappi.
Beek is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate the multicultural and varied backgrounds of our team and are committed to creating an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate based upon race, sexual orientation, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, citizenship, ancestry, color, disability, marital status, or parental status. We believe that the more perspectives and voices we represent in our business, the better we will serve our audience and the more we will succeed.