Staff Software Engineer, Product Engineering (Omni)
26 Jan, 2023
$180000 — $215000 yearly
OneSignal is a leading omnichannel customer engagement solution, powering personalized customer journeys across mobile and web push notifications, in-app messaging, SMS, and email. On a mission to democratize engagement, we enable over a million businesses to keep their users - including readers, fans, players and shoppers - engaged and up to date by delivering 10 billion messages daily.
1 in 7 new apps launches using OneSignal! We support companies in 140 countries, including Zynga, USA Today, Bitcoin.com, Upwork, Tribune, and many more - from startups and small businesses just getting off the ground to established companies communicating with millions of customers.
We’re venture-backed by SignalFire, Rakuten Ventures, Y Combinator, HubSpot, and BAM Elevate (read more about our recent Series C!). We’re a remote-first company, offering remote work as the default option in the United States in California, New York, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Utah as well as in the UK and Singapore - with plans to expand the locations we support in the future. We also have offices in San Mateo, CA, New York City, and London, UK.
OneSignal has a lot of the great tech startup qualities you'd expect, but we don't stop there. Our massive scale and small team, emphasis on healthy life balance and kindness in all our interactions, and focus on ownership and personal growth make OneSignal a uniquely great place to work.
About The Team:
Our Product Engineering group builds our main product interface (https://www.onesignal.com) and API. Our small team’s work makes a massive impact. We tackle challenges at the intersection of engineering and product development, like notification authoring for over a dozen different platforms and multiple mediums (push, in-app, SMS, and email) and intelligent message delivery customized to each recipient.
Our Omni team develops the products and features our customers use to build, orchestrate, and evaluate the impact of multi-channel user engagement campaigns. We develop a deep understanding of both our customers’ workflows and the technical details of all the messaging channels we offer to build highly configurable, no-code solutions that help our customers confidently engage the right user, at the right moment, with the right kind of message.
Our blog contains more information about the OneSignal Engineering career ladder, remote-first culture, and our diverse team.
What You'll Do:
- Drive critical development on major features, tackling big scalability and system design challenges to create a delightful product experience
- Iterate with product on prospective product specs and designs as a technical expert, weighing in not just on feasibility but on opportunities driven by great tech
- Identify our highest leverage technical investment opportunities, socialize and document plans to enhance our systems, and lead them to success with your colleagues
- Provide feedback to managers on the team to ensure every engineer is succeeding at their work, enjoying it thoroughly, and tackling new challenges regularly so they can continue to grow
- Pair/group program, iterate on technical designs with colleagues, and engage in highly communicative code reviews to drive engineering excellence and share knowledge
- Design, build, and maintain services written in Go, Rust, and Ruby on Rails
- Be excited to bring your back end architecture skills to life with delightful UI’s (potentially up to 40% FE work)
What You'll Bring:
- 7+ years software engineering experience building high volume, scalable SaaS applications from end-to-end
- Expert-level understanding of backend engineering and system design patterns
- Experience designing, implementing, and scaling services written in Rust or Go
- A demonstrable ability to analyze multifaceted challenges, seek out and understand the tradeoffs involved, and make a thorough proposal of the most fitting path forward
- A proven track record of tackling hard engineering problems, navigating complex software systems, and learning + applying new tools and languages on–the-job
- A drive to collaborate with product managers, designers, and front end engineers to design and build solutions with the end user experience in mind
- A passion for mentoring junior through senior software engineers to achieve technical excellence together
The New York and California base salary for this full time position is between $180,000 to $215,000. Your exact starting salary is determined by a number of factors such as your experience, skills, and qualifications. In addition to base salary, we also offer a competitive equity program and comprehensive and inclusive benefits.
Qualities we look for:
- Friendliness & Empathy
- Accountability & Collaboration
- Proactiveness & Urgency
- Growth Mindset & Love of Learning
In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination/harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination/harassment based on 'protected categories,' we also strive to prevent other, subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (e.g., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place in our workplace.
Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on OneSignal. Please inform us if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application and/or interview process.
Engage customers through personalized omni-channel messaging
More Full Time Jobs
$160000 - $180000 yearly
Assistant Community Manager
$45000 - $50000 yearly
$90000 - $120000 yearly