Staff Software Engineer
27 May, 2023
$126302 — $262890 yearly
Checkr’s mission is to build a fairer future by designing technology to create opportunities for all. We believe all candidates, regardless of who they are, should have a fair chance to work. Established in 2014 and valued at $5B, Checkr is using technology to bring hiring to the next level. Our People Trust Platform uses machine learning to help thousands of companies modernize their background check process and make hiring safer, more efficient, and more inclusive. Some of our customers include Uber, Instacart, Doordash, Netflix, Compass Group, and Adecco.
A career with Checkr is an opportunity to work with some of the best and brightest minds, disrupt an industry for a better future, and give otherwise overlooked candidates access to employment. Checkr has been recognized in Forbes Best Startup Employers and is a top Y Combinator company by valuation.
About the role
Checkr is looking for an experienced full-stack Staff Software Engineer to join the Optimize Core team. This team’s charter is to enable our customers to make more efficient, accurate, and fair decisions in the hiring process while maintaining compliance and allowing for configurability of decisioning workflows. Additionally, this team has a unique ability to be able to have a significant impact on the Checkr mission of fair chance hiring. The flagship product of the Optimize Core team is Assess, which was awarded Fast Company’s Winner in the AI and Data category as part of their 2021 World Changing Ideas Awards. In this role, you will organize and lead your teammates to build new products as well as support feature enhancements to existing products.
Because we process millions of records each year, every engineering challenge our group faces – compliance, data quality, speed, and reliability – is a challenge we face at scale. We also face deep product challenges from a highly fragmented and decentralized data ecosystem, which means every engineering choice we make is also an opportunity to reduce bias in the hiring process.
Checkr is a collection of small services built on Ruby and React JS, with SQL and NoSQL databases, asynchronous tasks using messaging queues and Kafka data streams. As we build our architecture, we welcome new languages and technologies to our stack. Checkr was founded by engineers for engineers; we want to create the best environment for developers to build, learn and love their work.
What you’ll do
- Own the product development from ideation, design, implementation, to release
- Actively partner with product, design, and other stakeholders to create innovative and effective features
- Collaborate with the team in driving architecture and implementation of new products/features
- Design, develop, test, deploy, maintain, and improve our products
- Ensure the security, quality, reliability, and scalability of our services
- Monitor, investigate, triage, and resolve production issues as they arise for services owned by the team
- Partner with product and management in project planning
What you bring
- 8+ years of software development experience
- 3+ years experience in a project leadership role
- Experience providing mentorship to junior engineers and spearheading the adoption of best practices for the team
- A passion for optimizing services for scale and speed
- Strong understanding of infrastructure behind a micro-service architecture
- Deep understanding of microservices design, REST APIs, and asynchronous queueing models
- Strong collaboration, communication and project management skills
- A strong sense of ownership
- Ability to lead and collaborate with teammates and other stakeholders to deliver features end-to-end
- An eagerness to learn, collaborate, improve, and innovate
What you get:
- A fast-paced and collaborative environment
- Learning and development allowance
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement
- 100% medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Up to $25K reimbursement for fertility, adoption, and parental planning services
- Flexible PTO policy
- Monthly wellness stipend, home office stipend
One of Checkr’s core values is Transparency. To live by that value, we’ve made the decision to disclose salary ranges in all of our job postings. We use geographic cost of labor as an input to develop ranges for our roles and as such, each location where we hire may have a different range. If this role is remote, we have listed the top to the bottom of the possible range, but we will specify the target range for an exact location when you are selected for a recruiting discussion. For more information on our compensation philosophy, see our website.
The salary range for this role is $126,302 to $262,890.
Equal Employment Opportunities at Checkr
Checkr is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all of its tech, non-tech, and leadership roles. Checkr believes that the gathering and celebration of unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures enriches the workplace.
Checkr also welcomes the opportunity to consider qualified applicants with prior arrest or conviction records. Checkr’s commitment to diversity extends to hiring talented individuals in spite of a prior criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.
People infrastructure for the future of work
More Full Time Jobs
Frontend Software Engineer
$140000 - $170000 yearly
Founding Full Stack Engineer
$100000 - $114997 yearly
$75000 - $150000 yearly
Technical Product Manager
$100000 - $130000 yearly
Lead Research Scientist, NLP
$225000 - $300000 yearly