Software Engineer, Data
09 Aug, 2022
We are looking for a Software Engineer to help our data engineering team design data pipelines as we launch new products, support the development and maintenance of Biobot’s existing Covid-19 data pipeline, and provide critical insight as you work with our software and product team to scale and deploy our infrastructure.
In this role you will:
- Design frameworks for building data analysis, QC, & reporting pipelines across a variety of product offerings and data types, including qPCR, targeted mass spectrometry, and next-generation sequencing data with our data team.
- Integrate Biobot’s data into our customer-facing software platform and public data visualizations and establish ETL processes to ingest external datasets that add context to Biobot’s wastewater data.
- Lead database and codebase design decisions for existing and new data pipelines
- Implement best practices for version control, code review, testing, and collaboration in a remote working environment.
Who you are:
- 4+ years of experience in a software, data engineering, or similar role, with data pipeline projects from design to implementation and maintenance required.
- Experience designing data pipelines for scientific data, including but not limited to molecular biology (qPCR, next-generation sequencing, etc) and/or chemistry data (targeted or non-targeted LC-MS/MS).
Technical expertise in:
- Python, pandas and object-oriented design
- Relational data modeling for transactional and analytical systems (Postgres or similar)
- ETL-based data pipelines, including both batch and stream processing
- AWS cloud compute platforms and services (e.g. S3, EC2, Lambda, Step Functions, etc)
- Data governance
Nice to have:
- Previous start-up experience
- Experience leading a technical team or mentoring junior engineers
Technical proficiency in:
- Big data analytics (Spark, EMR, Athena, etc)
- RESTful services
- Docker (or similar)
At Biobot, we are working together to build a team environment in which everyone can thrive and is proud to belong. We are an equal opportunity employer and our goal is to be a diverse team that is representative, at all job levels, of the society we live in. We encourage applications from candidates of all identities and backgrounds, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in technology startups.
Our mission is to transform wastewater infrastructure into public health observatories.
Named as one of Fast Company’s most innovative companies in the world in 2021, Biobot Analytics is a wastewater epidemiology company and uses technology developed at MIT to measure biomarkers in sewage to better understand population health in cities. We first launched an opioid product to support government and public health officials in responding to the opioid epidemic, and in 2020 launched a Covid19 product to estimate the scope and trend of the outbreak in communities. We have operated in almost 500 communities across 43 U.S. states, generating Covid19 case estimates for over 13% of the U.S. population.
Battling the opioid epidemic and now the Covid19 pandemic is just the beginning - we’re transforming sewage into a data asset and building a public health database. Eventually, Biobot data will be an early warning system for disease outbreaks, a map of nutrition disparities, and more. Headquartered in the Boston area with an office in NYC, we aim to create the bedrock of human health infrastructure and smart cities in countries across all six continents.
Please note that we are unable to sponsor work visas at this time.