Software Engineer - Game Development
01 Jul, 2022
Volley develops voice-controlled games and entertainment apps for Amazon Alexa and Google Home. Our voice apps are world-class and attract millions of users every month. We’re a 35-person team based in San Francisco.
We’ve created several of the top experiences for voice-controlled devices, including:
Song Quiz - a name-that-tune music trivia game
Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader? - a quiz game to test your elementary-level knowledge
Magic Word - a brand new GIF game created in partnership with Google
We believe voice control will be the main way people access entertainment in their bedrooms, kitchens, living rooms, and cars, and our goal is to build a destination for interactive audio entertainment, as Netflix did for television.
What you’ll do
- Work on groundbreaking, innovative games on a brand new platform, with the reach of millions of active users
- Take advantage of our powerful internal engine to build and iterate quickly, focusing on writing logic, not boilerplate
- Develop best-in-class voice-controlled games that are social, engaging, and fun to play
- Collaborate with UX experts, designers, and data analysts to deliver products quickly and effectively
Things you may have done before
- Built games in Unity, Unreal, PlayCanvas, or other game engines as part of a collaborative, multidisciplinary team
- Worked with voice, motion, or other nontraditional forms of input in games
- Built consumer-facing apps or games at scale
- Operated in environments with fast development-cycles focused on rapid product iteration
- 3+ years of game development experience
- Volley's own custom-built engine, designed by a rocket scientist :-)
- Typescript, Node, & Next.js
- Kotlin Multiplatform
- Kubernetes & Terraform
At Volley, we recognize the importance of work-life balance. We are currently working remotely, but come September will be implementing a hybrid work-from-home and in-office schedule. We also offer 30 days of paid vacation and strongly encourage its use.
Volley believes in an inclusive workplace and is committed to building a team from a variety of backgrounds. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive the other benefits and privileges of employment.
We’re a small but quickly growing team that truly enjoys working together. We love coming together over Zoom happy hours, the funny and strange in Slack #random, and come September, occasional karaoke sessions in our brand new Hayes Valley office. If this sounds like fun (we promise it is), get in touch!
Underrepresented candidates, and candidates from nontraditional backgrounds, are strongly encouraged to apply!