25 Jun, 2022
No experience required
Substack lets writers connect with their audience on their own terms and earn money doing it. We make it simple for writers to publish to an email list that they own, get discovered on the web, and charge for subscriptions.
More than 1 million people pay to subscribe to writers across the Substack network, and the top writers make millions of dollars a year. Substack’s model depends on the success of writers using Substack – we only make money when they do.
_“Substack makes it dead simple to start a newsletter and get paid for it.” – _Judd Legum, author of Popular Information
_"Substack gives me a way to connect with my audience on my own terms.” – _Lyz Lenz, author of God Land and Men Yell At Me
Make something that matters
Great writing is valuable. It respects readers' time, their intelligence, and their trust. It helps us make sense of and change the culture we live in. At Substack, we're building a business model that enables great writing to thrive. Learn more about our opportunity and mission.
We are a small but growing team, and there is more to build than we could ever imagine. That’s why we need you.
Every person at the company participates in customer support. We do this to build empathy with our users and enable us to build better products.
We believe that a diverse team will help us build a product that best serves the needs of a wildly diverse ecosystem of writers. So whatever your background or perspective, we’d welcome your input to help build the best possible version of Substack.
Product at Substack
Substack is looking for a talented Product Manager to build the products and systems that power the next phase of growth for the company. You will work closely with engineering, design, and partnerships teams to define product requirements; from implementation through completion. This position will report to the Head of Product.
Design sense. You needn't be deep into e.g. typography, but taste and aesthetic discernment will be useful.
Technical understanding. Knowing what's possible and practicable within our stack is a must, but so too is having technical curiosity about what instrumentalities might be available to us to deliver more value to our users in the future.
Project management. Substack is a fast-moving startup with many competitors. In order to maintain forward development and execute effectively, we have to be responsive to the needs of our existing users as we push into new domains, while juggling all of the reactive work.
Analytical muscle. Exhibit and understanding of basic growth frameworks, opportunity sizing and how to evaluate experiments, through conducting A/B tests and utilizing tools for data analysis.
Communication. Work closely with the Head of Product and CEO building the narrative on your products to share with internal and external stakeholders.
- Work closely with all stakeholders to define product requirements and see implementation through to completion, leading development efforts between engineering and design
- Mock up concepts, define and write specs, and do whatever it takes to ship your products
- Gain deep understanding of our writers’ and readers’ needs
- Help teams estimate and deconstruct complex projects into manageable parts with delivery plans, and track progress against those plans
- 4+ years of experience as a Product Manager, consumer tech experience preferred
- A track record of building web products, preferably in a startup or fast-paced environment
- Technical depth, allowing you to understand tradeoffs and ask engineers insightful questions about architecture and product decisions alike
- Strong quantitative background to support data-informed decision making
- BA / BS, preferably in computer science or a related technical field
Substack is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status. We're seeking people passionate about enabling independent expression and building a better business model for creators. If you want to see what media, communities, and content can become when unmoored from advertising models, and you have the skills and experience to contribute, we'd love to meet you.
A place for independent writing.
More Full Time Jobs
Senior Full Stack Engineer
$50000 - $100000 yearly