Join Hive.co as our first Engineering Manager!
04 Feb, 2023
$130000 — $160000 yearly
Our engineering team owns the code and infra that lets our customers do powerful things with our product, simply and intuitively. We care about delivering the right product iterations quickly - we build minimum viable products, deploy to production multiple times per day, listen to customer feedback, and iterate.
At Hive, we ingest high-volume data in real-time from 20+ integrations (like Ticketmaster and Shopify), we store and query billions of customer data points, and we send 100MM+ of email/SMS every month to our client’s customers. We’ve built a growing, profitable business and the scale of technical problems we’re solving is quickly growing too!
Our small but mighty engineering team needs your help and experience! We’re building the core of our team right now that will support our growth in 2023. You’ll be our first Engineering Manager, and will help us take our dev team from 4 to ~10 (and our company to ~40 people) this year.
There won’t be an opportunity to join our company this early ever again!
We’re looking for someone who’s passionate about building teams and delivering high quality software - we want to hear why you're excited about Hive, what impact you want to have, and how we can help you make that happen.
Role & responsibilities:
- You'll help us build a stellar team - working with TA to req new roles at the right time and managing the interview & decision processes
- You'll continually raise the bar - thinking holistically about the team, where our gaps are and where our expectations should be higher
- You'll keep the team motivated, productive, and fulfilled - you have a thoughtful performance management philosophy that drives the way you conduct 1:1s, give feedback and push each teammate forward
- You'll continually improve our career ladders and coach teammates on how to progress - deliberately giving them projects and opportunities to learn new skills
- You'll ensure we continue to move fast and deliver great software as the team grows - you think 6 to 12 months ahead and evaluate process, tooling and resources based on where we're headed
- You'll think cross functionally and use a deep understanding of the business to ensure the goals and processes of the dev team are aligned with other departments and the company as a whole
- You’ve spent 2 + years leading an effective engineering team - being solely responsible for the success of the individuals on that team
- You have 5+ years of hands-on experience building production-grade web applications using frontend and backend frameworks, and don't mind writing some code early on
- You’ve seen the inner workings of how software is made by a team on a shared codebase - you can articulate what communication, development processes and tooling you do/don’t find effective and why
- You've thrived while working on a semi or fully-remote team (communicate effectively async, work independently, know when to ask for help, self-manage your time and effort). You can articulate your preferred communication & working style to your teammates
- You're a direct, empathetic communicator, who believes that thoughtful feedback is a mandatory input to growth
- You're decisive, even in uncertain situations
- You have experience in a < 50 person company, and can speak to why you want to join a company of our size
- You're never done learning - you constantly drive to understand how things work, how you can improve, and how you can have an impact at different levels
- You might have a great CompSci or Engineering degree, or something else, or you dropped out, or you didn't even go to school - our team is made up of all kinds of smart people!
Technologies we use & teach:
- Frontend: React, Redux, Typescript
- Backend: Python, Django
- Databases: Redis, MySQL, MongoDB, Elasticsearch
- Infra: AWS, Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform
- Experience with these is a plus, but we know smart people are quick learners!
- Meaningful salary and equity: you're rewarded based on impact
- Work fully remote in Canada: wherever you're happiest & productive
- Flexible work hours: minimal meetings and no 9-5
- Health & Dental coverage
- Unlimited vacation/PTO: so you can be happy and healthy!
- Comp Range: $130-160k per year
Hive is an email and SMS marketing CRM used by brands to personalize and automate their campaigns. We pride ourselves on helping brands understand their email and SMS marketing, all while selling more and keeping their customers engaged.
We integrate with tech partners like Ticketmaster and Shopify to let brands act on all their data, so they can easily segment their list in thousands of ways, and send more customized, timely email campaigns that land in inboxes.
We started our company inside a University of Waterloo computer lab in early 2014, graduated from Y Combinator that summer (S14 batch) and have been growing ever since. Originally based in Kitchener, our team is now 100% remote and located all across Canada! We strive to provide an online work environment that allows team members to have a strong work life balance while still feeling connected to their team and Hive’s mission.
To learn more about our team check out our About Us page on our website: https://www.hive.co/company
Email and SMS marketing platform
More Full Time Jobs
Lead Backend Engineer
$100000 - $200000 yearly
Senior Spacecraft Thermal Engineer
$100000 - $130000 yearly
Quality & Configuration Manager
$90000 - $120000 yearly
Senior Accountant / Controller
$80000 - $130000 yearly
Space Operations Engineer
$85000 - $130000 yearly