Frontend Engineer (marketing focus)
20 Jan, 2023
$139000 — $163997 yearly
We're looking for a frontend engineer to join our team to help change the way developers build their applications.
You'll be primarily responsible for growing and maintaining https://supabase.com/.
You'll be an indispensable part of the team. By working closely with our founders as well as our marketing, design, and front end teams, you'll be directly contributing to technical choices, building team culture and co authoring internal processes for a growing team.
This is an opportunity to truly take ownership and become a code owner, defining how it evolves, and how we can can scale our users, team, product and processes. A lot of job ads say this, but we truly mean it. Your role is to shape and implement the visual and interactive direction for the Supabase brand.
You care about attention to detail, the quality and robustness of code you write, but also about collaborating with others. Reviewing fairly, honestly and without ego other team member's work and helping them become the best they can be.
You've worked in multi disciplinary teams before, working with designers, developers, marketeers, customer support and sales staff. You communicate problems at high level and can convey your assumptions, issues and progress to others effectively and honestly. These are the key pieces of effective self-managing.
What we need
This role requires three critical attributes:
- Ability to deliver beautiful, polished interactive marketing visuals. For this role, we’re looking for someone who leans close to the front of the frontend — think: polish, animations, interactivity. You’ll ideally be pretty good in Figma and able to create your own designs (with the help of the design team). We’re not expecting that you’ll be a true designer, but you’ll ideally have a great design sense. We’re looking for someone who regularly spends time in DevTools inspecting the homepage of Stripe or Linear.
- Ability to write great production React code. React is the language of your UI work. We’re looking for someone with a several years of production React experience at high user scale, and for user-facing applications. The latest with hooks and everything else in the ecosystem. Again, this role leans closer to the front of the frontend: we’re more interested in how you’ve used React to achieve an amazing visual experience than how you setup Redux to manage an app’s state. The more you know about React and the ecosystem the better, but this role skews heavily towards the visual/interactive.
- Ability to self-manage. Every company will expect you to self-manage to some degree, but Supabase takes this to a new level. We are a flat, early-stage startup without a lot of structure. To thrive in this environment, you’ll need to be a motivated self-starter who is good working asynchronously across multiple teams. We’re looking for someone who will identify things that need improvement and put their heads down until it’s shipped.
- Build our marketing site (https://supabase.com), iterating on existing pages and building great new landing/marketing pages.
- Exploring and experiment with animation, canvas, 3D libraries to explore ideas.
- Take ownership of the marketing frontend stack and config. Planning and iterating on it based on a roadmap that you have an active voice in moulding.
- Build tools and sub-sites within the Supabase ecosystem, occasionally dog fooding our own work.
- Interact with the wider developer community with blog posts, social media, Discord, Github; interacting with customers on a daily basis.
- Improve the performance and quality of our code.
- Be actively available and keen to work on other products within Supabase when needed. This would include the Docs website, the Dashboard, or any other properties, applying the same responsibilities of the above to it.
Must have requirements:
- 2+ years experience using modern React (functions, hooks, etc) in a production environment
- Experience using a React UI library like Radix
- Experience with design software (Figma, Sketch)
- Willingness to work in an agile / “everything in flux” / “everyday changes” environment
- Willingness to evolve and shape the development tools/stack
- Fluent in the English language (majority of our internal communication is written)
Nice to haves:
- Opinions and ideas on how to align teams to work effectively
- Experience working on large projects, and the code and contribution complexities that come with it
- Figma: Experience integrating with Figma design tokens or the Figma api into a design system
- Accessibility: Experience building to a WCAG standard
- Typescript: we use Typescript everywhere, but this isn’t a dealbreaker. We’ll give the right candidate the opportunity to learn.
- Tailwind : we use Tailwind as our framework for applying styles across our apps. If you’ve got a ton of experience with another system, you’ll pick up Tailwind quickly.
- Next.JS : All of our apps are built on Next.JS. Experience with Next is a bonus, but if you know React really well, you’ll have no trouble learning Next.JS.
- PostgreSQL : Supabase is a Postgres company, any database experience would be an asset.
- 100% remote work from anywhere in the world. No location-based adjustment to your salary.
- Autonomous work. We work collaboratively on projects, but you set your own pace.
- Health, Vision and Dental benefits. Supabase covers 100% of the cost for employees and 80% for dependents
- Generous Tech Allowance for any office setup you need
- Annual Education Allowance
- Annually run off-sites.
BUILD IN A WEEKEND. SCALE TO BILLIONS
Supabase adds auth, realtime, and restful APIs to Postgres without a single line of code.
Each project within Supabase is an isolated Postgres cluster, allowing customers to scale independently, while still providing the features that you need to build: instant database setup, auth, row level security, realtime data streams, auto-generating APIs, and a simple to use web interface.
We are a fully remote company.
About the team
- We're a startup. It's unstructured.
- Collectively founded more than a dozen venture-backed companies.
- More than 10 different nationalities.
- We deeply believe in the efficacy of collaborative open source. We support existing communities and tools, rather than building "yet another xx".
- We "dogfood" everything. If you use it in your project, we use it in Supabase.
- The entire process is fully remote and all communication will happen over email or via video chat.
- Once you've submitted your application, the team will review your submission, and may reach out for a short screening interview over video call.
- If you pass the screen you will be invited to up to four follow up interviews. The calls:
- usually take between 20-45 minutes each depending on the interviewer.
- are all 1:1.
- will be with both founders, a member of either the growth or engineering team (depending on the role), and usually one other person from your immediate team or function.
- Once the interviews are over, the team will meet to discuss several roles and candidates and may:
- ask one or two follow-up questions over email or a quick call.
- go directly to making an offer.
Build in a weekend. Scale to billions.
More Full Time Jobs
Head of Product
$161000 - $300000 yearly
First engineer for OneText: new Y Combinator fintech startup, with former PayPal leads
$100000 - $180000 yearly
Customer Success Manager
$500 - $1000 yearly
Copywriter and content writer (US only)
$50000 - $70000 yearly