Director / Sr. Director of Business Development
25 Jun, 2022
Talus Bioscience is a venture-backed early-stage biotechnology startup working to develop new therapies for incurable cancers. At Talus, we believe nothing is undruggable. We build the technology to bring drug development back to where it matters, inside the live human cell.
Exciting things are happening at Talus…come join us!
Talus is looking for a Director/Sr. Director of Business Development to join our team, reporting to the CEO. This role will ideally be on-site in Seattle, but remote work will be considered for the right candidate. The goal of this role is to own the business development strategy for the entire organization, identifying opportunities for partnership to fully realize the value of Talus’ technology platform. They will work directly within Talus Bio’s leadership team and across the entire organization.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Establish an ambitious business development plan that integrates into Talus’ scientific, strategic, and financing plans.
- Work closely with the scientific team to define and deliver key data packages to enable effective BD outreach.
- Build high-level and science-focused presentation materials and manage external communication with potential partners.
- Source potential partners aligned with Talus’ technology platform, including approach plans, value proposition, and key pitch elements.
- Independently lead the scientific diligence during partnering and collaborating closely with scientists and the leadership team.
- Negotiate partnership deals that fully capture the value unlocked by Talus Bio’s innovative technology platform.
- Manage Talus’ external relationships including strategic alliances, research partnerships, licensees/licensors, research programs with institutions, and other companies.
- Construct an internal BD organizational system, including the tracking, documentation, and status reporting of all collaborations along the BD pipeline.
- Hire, develop, and mentor the BD team.
- Maintain an active network of potential partners and develop, maintain, and manage relationships with key contacts at these organizations.
Talus believes that our staff should reflect the diversity of our community. We are committed to hiring and advancing staff that represent voices from traditionally underrepresented populations. We are committed as an organization to foster better cultural competency, equity, and diversity. We're open to a variety of backgrounds and experiences, and all talent is welcome and encouraged to apply, even if not all of the required qualifications are met.
Required Skills and Experience
- BS, MS, or PhD in biology, chemistry, or other scientific field.
- 7+ years progressive business development experience, including 2+ years in roles with leadership responsibilities.
- Demonstrated experience with many different deal structures and partnership models, particularly for early-adopter platform technologies.
- Established network across the biotech/biopharma industry, particularly within oncology therapeutics companies.
- A thorough understanding of drug discovery trends and the current competitive landscape.
- Experience building, developing, and leading high-performing teams. Preferred Skills and Experience
- A combination of any of the preferred qualifications listed below would add value to a potential candidate’s application.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Drug discovery experience.
- Experience in a fast-paced startup environment.
- Buy-side BD experience in biotech or pharma.
- Sell-side BD experience within a platform biotechnology company
- A solid understanding of oncology therapeutics and/or small molecule drug development.
- Experience in a venture-backed startup environment
Benefits At Talus, we’re proud to offer a comprehensive benefits package that is top of class for a small startup:
- Medical/dental/vision insurance with 100% company-paid premiums for employees
- Company-paid life insurance policy
- 4 weeks of paid time off PLUS 10 holidays
- 401(k) with 4% company contribution
- $100/month commuter benefit for transit, parking, etc.
- An inclusive and fun work environment with smart and dedicated co-workers
COVID Precautions We value the safety of our employees and have put in measures to reduce the risk of COVID that include: Optional remote interview process Personal protective equipment provided and required Weekly COVID testing and reporting protocols
Talus Bioscience provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.