25 Jun, 2022
Substack lets writers connect with their audience on their own terms and earn money doing it. We make it simple for writers to publish to an email list that they own, get discovered on the web, and charge for subscriptions.
More than 1 million people pay to subscribe to writers across the Substack network, and the top writers make millions of dollars a year. Substack’s model depends on the success of writers using Substack – we only make money when they do.
_“Substack makes it dead simple to start a newsletter and get paid for it.” – _Judd Legum, author of Popular Information
_"Substack gives me a way to connect with my audience on my own terms.” – _Lyz Lenz, author of God Land and Men Yell At Me
Make something that matters
Great writing is valuable. It respects readers' time, their intelligence, and their trust. It helps us make sense of and change the culture we live in. At Substack, we're building a business model that enables great writing to thrive. Learn more about our opportunity and mission.
We are a small but growing team, and there is more to build than we could ever imagine. That’s why we need you.
Every person at the company participates in customer support. We do this to build empathy with our users and enable us to build better products.
We believe that a diverse team will help us build a product that best serves the needs of a wildly diverse ecosystem of writers. So whatever your background or perspective, we’d welcome your input to help build the best possible version of Substack.
Android at Substack
Substack is looking to invest in Android and mobile development. As one of the first Android Engineers at Substack, you will be responsible for shaping the direction of the Android app ecosystem. From infra and tech stack to product direction, we are looking for an engineer who are excited to go from zero to one. You will work in close partnership with designers, product thinkers, and customers directly to build out new mobile offerings and tooling across the platform. You will be on the front-lines of product development and are responsible for creating what’s next for Substack.
- Develop the core Substack Android app for readers and writers. This is a dynamic organization with needs across the board. We expect that engineers can jump into many areas of the product and add value.
- Collaborate with designers, writers, support staff, and many others. From product concept and research to implementation and deployment, we expect you to own your work and deliver high-quality solutions.
- Work directly with customers to solve their problems. The entire company (CEO included) participates in customer support in order to drive empathy for our users and help us build better products.
- At least 5 years of software engineering experience.
- Experience shipping high quality Android apps.
- Independent and autonomous. We’re too small to micromanage, and expect that every person at the company owns their work and can be a leader.
- Hold yourself and others to a high standard when working on production systems.
- Take pride in building elegant and delightful product experiences. Substack works best when it gets out of the way so writers can focus on writing and connecting with their readers.
- Enjoy collaboration with a diverse group of thinkers while bringing our own unique experience and background to the team.
- Believe in Substack’s mission to build a better business model for writing.
Substack is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status. We're seeking people passionate about enabling independent expression and building a better business model for creators. If you want to see what media, communities, and content can become when unmoored from advertising models, and you have the skills and experience to contribute, we'd love to meet you.
A place for independent writing.
More Full Time Jobs
Senior Full Stack Engineer
$50000 - $100000 yearly
Strategy and Operations Lead or COO
$80000 - $180000 yearly