Head of Growth
13 Aug, 2022
$90000 — $110000 yearly
Start by sending your resume in and include whatever materials you believe are important and showcase your abilities. Feel free to elaborate past your resume - we know first-hand that there are experiences and projects that won't be reflected in a job title or metric.
🧬 Who we are
We developed the world’s first consumer oral microbiome test to measure oral health - including risk factors for cavities, gum disease, and bad breath. We use those insights to help people improve their oral and overall health through personalized diet, hygiene, and product recommendations plus 1:1 coaching.
We're still in the scrappy startup phase, having launched our oral health platform in September. We're looking for people who are comfortable working in ambiguity and thrive when they can launch projects from 0 to 1 - and then drive from 1 to 100.
Our team is made up of self-starters obsessed with making a meaningful impact in health and care. We constantly learn from each other and the experts we work with. We're looking for people who can bring deep experiences, diverse perspectives, and fresh backgrounds to our team.
⭐ We've had a lot of exciting momentum over the last year:
🏁 Graduated Y Combinator's W21 batch
🦠 Kicked off a clinical research study with the University of the Pacific Dental School
🎉 Closed our seed round led by Initialized Capital
🦷 Launched our oral health platform in September
🏗 The role - Head of Growth
As our first marketing hire, you will be responsible for shaping and improving the way we engage, acquire and retain customers. You will be responsible for all aspects of new user growth and accountable for KPIs including CAC, CVR and ROAS.
As is typical for a startup, there will be other projects and efforts we'll need your help with, so you’ll be collaborating directly with Product and Customer Experience. You will report to and work directly with our CEO, Danny.
You will monitor, manage, improve, and execute all aspects of growth.
Understand our customers
Design, deploy and lead customer discovery efforts at Bristle to understand their journey. Leverage a combination of advanced analytics, data-driven experiments and elbow grease - talk to our users!!!
Engage with our target audience
Use those insights to develop and grow channels that expand our reach and meet our target audience where they are. Optimize & scale our marketing efforts through performance/organic marketing channels, email, and affiliate marketing.
Convert them into users
Create and iterate on messaging, content, and design to communicate the value Bristle provides. Launch new A/B tests to increase our conversion rate and reduce our CAC.
Retain them for life
Growth doesn’t stop at purchase. You will work bi-directionally with Product and Customer Experience to continually ideate, test, and iterate on ways we can provide more value to our customers.
Shape our vision
Work with our founding team to determine our strategic direction, advocating for our users and incorporating your own intuition. Envision how different users experience Bristle and bring that to life in a way that feels inspired, refined, and magical.
🖌 Examples of what you'll do
In the first 30 days
- Speak with our users and develop a deep understanding of their journey, interests, and what they love (or want improved) at Bristle
- Learn Bristle’s scientific approach & become a user (experience our product)
- Dive into our historical data around strategies, experiments, and channel performance
- Identify key opportunities for growth and present your strategy to get there
In the first 60 days
- Architect the overall structure of our marketing stack including CRM, marketing automation, analytics, etc.
- Work with design and content strategy team to devise, run, and analyze tests of audience segments, creative, copy, promotions and channels—including social media, paid search, affiliate, paid influencers, display, DRIP, retargeting, referrals, etc.
- Implement strategy for paid search & organic marketing
- Track, analyze, and interpret marketing channel performance by setting channel specific KPIs and create dashboards tracking efficacy of marketing efforts to drive decision making
😊 Who you are
None of these are required but generally describe the kinds of people we believe will have the biggest impact at Bristle.
- You love taking ideas from general frameworks to defined and executable strategies - you can go from "big picture vision" to "where can/should we start today", and then you start!
- You understand the importance of testing & learning, and you ruthlessly execute to progress towards a defined goal
- You have a balance of qualitative and quantitative skills - you love data but understand that metrics are only indicators - the “why” is critical!
- You're confident in yourself, open to others, and resilient in the face of adversity
- We're looking for a growth leader who will push back when needed and doesn’t hesitate to challenge assumptions
- We value everyone's perspective and feedback - you're someone who looks for diverse insights and values input from unlikely places and people
- We're an early-stage company and there will be plenty of challenges to overcome - you thrive in tackling things head-on and are obsessive about our mission to improve health
💪 What you've done
- 5+ years experience in a marketing analyst or growth role. Experience at a D2C growth-stage startup; consumer health experience is a plus.
- Preferably, 3+ years of your experience should be at an early stage company driving growth - ideally from pre-launch or launch through 50k+ paying customers
- Successful track record in scaling a consumer subscription or D2C brand. Proven success in creating compelling, customer-focused programs.
- Experience creating a brand identity and brand voice in collaboration with an external agency or internal creative director, driven by consumer insights research and testing.
- Owned and managed budgeting, forecasting, and delivering on monthly goals of spend, CAC, new user growth and ROAS
- Expertise with:
- Analytics tools like Google Analytics, MixPanel, Segment, HotJar etc.
- Data reporting & visualization like Tableau, Looker, Google data studio, etc.
- Marketing platforms: AdWords, FB Ads Manager
- Creating impactful A/B tests and analyzing performance (i.e. Google Optimize)
- Bonus points if you have:
- Experience with web development & design (Webflow, Shopify, etc.)
- Experience with copywriting or content management
- A cute pet you don't mind showing on zoom or bringing to meetings
🚀🌙 Why you'll be excited to work with us
- We are solving an unmet and massive global problem that will drive meaningful improvement in peoples' health
- We are emphatic about creative marketing - and we'll empower you to get it done. If there's a better way of doing things you won't get any resistance from us. We're hiring you to tell us what to do.
- We believe in aptitude and potential - we've been constantly learning and are by no means experts in everything we do. We love people who are passionate about learning and creating impact wherever they can - and we'll encourage you to do it.
- We're getting a lot of momentum around Bristle from our users and stakeholders in oral health. You're coming in at the most exciting time for us - when great execution brings exponential growth.
- We value a work/life balance. We're actively building our company culture, benefits, and perks where you will have direct input. We don't believe in working ourselves to death.
- There is a lot of room for growth and mobility at Bristle - we'll factor in what you want to do with your career and give you the opportunities and resources you need to explore different interests (plus we're a startup, so you'll have to be comfortable with new roles and responsibilities anyway!)
🤝 Joining our team
- You have demonstrated excellence in growing and developing products users love.
- You have an intuitive and technical understanding of prioritizing projects - you can differentiate what a stepwise vs. nominal improvement is against the associated complexity and time build it.
⚡️ The interview process
We want you to be at your best - our goal is to get to know you, hear about your interests and experience, and share more about our work. We don't believe in "gotcha" style questions, complex interviews, or getting free work done disguised as 10-hour take-home projects.
Send in your resume and portfolio
Start by sending your resume to us and include whatever materials you believe are important and showcase your abilities. Feel free to elaborate past your resume - we know first-hand that there are experiences and projects that won't be reflected in a job title or metric.
Meet us and learn about Bristle
You'll have a brief 15-minute phone call with a member of our team (we'll let you know way before the call). You won't need to prepare anything in advance. You'll learn more about Bristle and have a chance to ask questions about our product, culture, and company.
If we're both excited to move forward, we'll send you some materials about Bristle and give you ample time to review them.
We'll schedule a few more conversations to walk through your past work and discuss some considerations around growth. We want to understand your aptitude, approach, and experience. We'll also want to understand your initial impressions about Bristle - what you like, what you think we need to improve, and anything else you want to share.
You’ll meet people across our team, including advisors and investors.
You'll reconnect with us for an hour-long challenge and we won't require any pre-work but will provide you with some insight into what you can expect. The goal of this challenge is to assess your marketing chops. The challenge will be practical, relevant, and achievable. We want to see you at your best, focusing on actual projects and problems we have - we aren't interested in watching you struggle through an ambiguous or complicated project.
We'll connect with a few people you've worked with. At this point, we're expecting to hear great things so it's primarily a way for us to better understand the best way to work with you.
🧐 A few other points
We're creating a new category - it's a lot of work but also provides endless opportunities for creative ideas that solve real-world problems. Job descriptions are necessarily ambiguous at our stage. You will have a deep influence on Bristle and a direct impact on our users.
While we're a remote-enabled company we are particularly **interested in applicants that are in or willing to relocate to San Diego (but are flexible on this, so please don't let that prevent you from applying!).
We value your time and believe in transparency and level-setting. Compensation can be a gating factor regardless of how much we want to work together, and the reality is that we are an early-stage company with limited capital. That said, as we grow so will your role and compensation. Our salary range for this role is ~$90k with equity between 0.3%-0.5% depending on experience, skills, and fit.