We play an end-end role in launching these cross-sector projects. We meet each sector where they are and build new muscles so that they can go where they need. Our work in doing this has been likened to “CrossFit for the mind”: a mixture of policy analysis, strategy consulting, investment banking, and non-profit capacity building.
We are looking for a Project Leader to join our offices in Singapore. Amongst your core responsibilities will be:
1. Leading client engagements focused on tri-sector work, including conducting:
a. Quantitative and qualitative research on social issues, service gaps, and other gaps where social innovation can be of value
b. Impact, operational, and financial due diligence on non-profit and social enterprise service providers
c. Cost-benefit analysis and financial modeling to estimate the impact of interventions to government and society
d. Advocacy from a public policy, social impact, and investment lens for projects and new models of cross-sector collaboration
e. Multi-stakeholder negotiations on innovative models and terms to launch specific Pay For Success projects
f. Managing senior clients as the firm’s primary point of contact
2. Creating new opportunities by building long-term relationships with existing clients and helping to find new ones, including:
a. Understanding the most significant challenges of leading social impact organizations around Asia
b. Breaking new ground in solving these challenges by adapting the latest tools from public policy, impact investing, and data analytics
c. Scoping and writing proposals for client engagements
3. Executing firm-building initiatives to help the firm deliver its mission in a sustainable and scalable way, such as:
a. Developing internal firm systems
b. Refining firm intellectual property and marketing materials
c. Assisting in board and funder relations
d. Writing articles for leading publications in Singapore and globally
e. Representing the firm at thought leadership events
4. Managing and mentoring team members to continuously raise the bar of our organization’s skills and working culture.
This role is a full-time position based in Singapore, with a target start date of Dec 2020/Jan 2021. There will be a six-month initial probation period before confirmation.
Why You Should Join Us
Our work is not easy. Yet, our team members have joined us from leading institutions across different sectors, because we each saw a need for this work to be done, and together we believe that we are building a unique place from which to push the boundaries of impact in Singapore, the region, and the world. As importantly, we believe in creating an organization where each team member can achieve their professional growth and personal self-actualization.
Each team member gets to:
1. Constantly build new skills and develop themselves. We hire A players from each sector, and then cross-train them in the best practices of other sectors. We take professional development very seriously and receive training from industry leaders. We encourage each team member to continuously push their own abilities.
2. Use their past experience in new ways. At the same time, we appreciate what each team member can bring to the table. We have public policy experts, strategy consultants, social entrepreneurs, and quantitative PhDs each contributing their talents and experience to our mission.
3. Exercise autonomy and control over their own fate. We entrust each team member with significant responsibility and control over how they achieve their project outcomes. We all build the organization together – everyone has a role in board meetings, setting the firm’s strategy, and taking major decisions. If you don’t like something, you will be able to be part of fixing it.
4. Work with people who really care. Everyone wakes up each day thinking about how they can do better for the people we serve and push the system towards more impact. We hold ourselves and each other to account for that, regardless of “rank”. We also have a no-jerks policy, no matter how talented they are. We provide support for each other as fellow-travelers in the winding journey to make a difference.
5. Directly see their personal delta. Each team member’s work will often mean the difference between something impactful happening in the world - or not. The buck stops with you, so when you look back, you will be able to say: “I did that”.
In short: if you are looking for a place to make a systemic difference, grow as a professional and a person, and chart your own outcomes - all while in the company of like-minded people - we believe this may a good mutual fit.
What We Are Looking For
At the team level, we are looking for people who embody our core values of impact-obsession, commitment to excellence, humility, and integrity.
At the Project Leader level, we are looking for a project-level entrepreneur and tri-sector athlete. You will have the ability and desire to walk between the people, public, and private sectors, translating between different worlds and finding new levers to create systemic change. You will then have the creativity and grit needed to make that change a reality. Successful Project Leaders will have demonstrated:
• Excellent Analytical Skills: Excellent ability to break down problems, structure research approaches, gather data, conduct quantitative and qualitative analyses, and ensure deliverable quality across a range of mediums
• Efficient Project Management Ability: Ability to plan and effectively execute multiple projects and complex workstreams in a fast-paced setting that meets client deadlines while balancing the needs of the team
• Stakeholder Management Tact: Ability to translate across fields, communicate complex messages in a structured way, and sensitively influence senior stakeholders from different sectors towards a cause
• Ability to Get Stuff Done: Bias towards action, entrepreneurial temperament, resourceful nature, and excitement about a flat, “all hands-on-deck” environment
• Drive for Social Impact: Driving personal passion for creating systems-level social change and tackling the root causes of social problems
• Kindness and Humility: Deep care for the people we serve and for the team; a combination of intellectual curiosity and humility in seeking continuous improvement in themselves, our organization, and the impact we create
The following attributes would be a significant advantage:
• 3-8 years of experience working within or advocating to the Singapore government on social and/or healthcare issues
The following attributes would be an advantage:
• Prior social sector experience in Singapore
• Prior project and client management experience, especially in delivering professional services engagements
• Econometric or statistical training, including proficiency in data analysis tools such as Stata, Matlab, R, or Python
• Legal training, especially in corporate and/or contract law
Candidates with these skills and attributes will typically have come from backgrounds in the Singapore government, management consulting, or investment banking. However, we believe that there are a diversity of settings where these skills can be developed, and are open to considering candidates from different backgrounds. To us, what matters more than pedigree, brands and titles is: what have you actually done, and what could you achieve with us if we gave you the opportunity?
To apply, please submit your resume together with answers to the following questions. Please note and respect the stated word limits for each question.
1. What draws you to our work? (200 words)
2. If you could choose one issue area to do a PFS project in, which would you choose and why? (200 words)
3. What 3 key obstacles do you see to creating the PFS project in your selected issue, and how would you mitigate or overcome these obstacles? (200 words)
Candidates may submit their applications to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line Project Leader - Singapore. Applications will be accepted until 1 November 2020, and will be processed on a rolling basis.
|Salary Range||SGD 5500 monthly|
|Experience Required||3 years|
|Employment Type||Full Time|
|Vacancies Available||1 available|