Today in News are brief updates by the BEAM team of what's happening in the business, finance, and technology space around the world (as well as in China). Download the BEAM App to get curated news like these from over 100 sources.
Around the world:
- Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway bought an astounding 75 million shares of Apple in Q1 and he wants more Apple Shares and praises the company's buybacks.
- Nestle is close to a deal with Starbucks for the part of its business that sells bagged coffee and drinks in supermarkets.
- According NACTO, bike share has rapidly emerged as a new transportation option that can bolster public transit usage and increase cycling in USA with 35 million trips taken in 2017, 25% more than in 2016.
- Surface magazine raised 2million USD from Magna Entertainment.
- Brazil digital bank Neon raised 2.2million USD led by Proper Venture PArtners from BBVA.
- Ctrip promised that they don't get additional fee from refund tickets and changed tickets but there is still confusion about the standard.
- Douyin 抖音 denied blocking "Peppa Pig".
- Only 1% of CIOs have deployed blockchain technology, says Gartner study.
- Pre-Accelerator program for idea stage entrepreneurs to take new businesses from 0 to $5,000 per month in revenue. Meet the team behind the program and get feedback for your ideas!
- Free info session1 May 8th - RSVP
- Free info session2 May 9th - RSVP
- Chinaccelerator Speakers Series with Jeff Braun, Former CEO and co-founder of Maxis, Creator of SimCity and The Sims
- May 8th Tuesday 18:30-21:00 - RSVP